Warm Hearts Humane Society, Montgomery County, AR

Fully accredited non-profit charity, we are in one of the poorest counties in Arkansas with our main focus getting animals spayed/neutered. Animal overpopulation, neglect, and abuse is rampant. We need homes for unwanted animals as well as foster homes for them until permanent homes can be found, as we have no shelter, animal control, or much of anything else except a group of dedicated and caring people who love animals. Won't you help us?

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Welcome to Warm Hearts!

Although Warm Hearts Humane Society is a fully accredited nonprofit charity, we are still but a loose collection of caring and dedicated animal lovers determined to improve the horrid situation far too many innocent animals endure in our county. Montgomery County, Arkansas is a very poor county with no animal control, no shelter, or any real recourse for these animals but for them to be lucky enough to find those few of us who are willing to open our hearts, homes, and wallets to help them. The founder of Warm Hearts is not going to be with us much longer, as she is dying, but there are those of us who are very determined that her work continues.

At this moment, I personally have 8 rescues (in addition to my own 3 dogs and a few chickens, whom I also rescue - I will take in any species that needs my help and have been doing so for almost 30 years) and am trying to catch another dog who has been dumped on the road, but is too afraid to let me to come close enough to catch him/her and bring him/her home. So, as of now, I have a solid black mother cat and her three 10-week-old kittens I rescued from under a house (only one of whom is male and striped, with the other two being female and black like their mother), two 12-week-old kittens (one is a long-haired orange and white female and the other a black and white female), a pit bull mix puppy named George (whom we will be keeping since I don't trust anyone else around here to adopt him - too many dog-fighters), and the newest rescue is a small black and tan dog who, unfortunately, has red mange. He appears to have been dumped at the same time as the dog I cannot catch, as they appeared together on our road within the last week and both have mange. I am currently putting food out for the other dog in an attempt to win enough trust to be able to reunite these poor dogs and bring them back to health so that I can try and find permanent homes for them.

My biggest problem is that, being disabled and unable to work, I am not really financially able to care for this many animals and certainly cannot get them all fixed. This is a common problem around here, and I cannot in good conscience adopt out any of these animals with them still possessing the ability to reproduce and further aggravate the problem. Did you know that just one mother cat is capable of generating thousands upon thousands of offspring during her lifetime? That is a LOT of suffering! I rescued a whole litter of kittens whom had been dumped in the woods across the road from me, and all of them died from a tick-borne disease, despite my and my sister's best efforts and some hefty vet bills.

This terrible and unnecessary suffering can all be prevented if we can just get these animals fixed and convince our neighbors to do the same, but there are just not enough funds to accomplish that at this point. Foster homes are hard to come by for this reason - there is just no money that Warm Hearts has at the moment to help out people who are willing to take these animals in. I am providing all of the food, litter, and medical care, though a fellow Warm Hearts member and dear friend did bring me some medicine today (THANK YOU!!) to try and help cure the mange, as she has had luck with this before. Few stray animals in this county are this lucky - very few. Therefore, many of them die by gunshot when someone calls the sheriff's office to report a stray. None of the officers likes this duty, and they are glad that there are at least a few of us willing to do what we can, but there are simply not enough of us.

If you live in this area, WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

DESPERATELY!!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to have money - just the love, time, and a willingness to help in any way possible. Read last week's Montgomery County News to see the column on ways you can help.

Then, please join us at the Mt. Ida Civic Center at 2:00 on the 2nd Sunday of each month so that we can all meet and put our heads together to discuss how best to deal with this terribly sad problem. Our next meeting is on the 13th of August, and I will provide some refreshments.

Meanwhile, keep checking this site as we continue to get it set up and updated. There will be pictures of all of the available animals, a PayPal button for easy donating, and a mailing address if your prefer to help that way.
Until then, just send us the energy to do this much-needed work, and if you are a religious person, a little prayer wouldn't hurt. We can use all the help we can get. Thank you for caring about animals.


I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
~Edward Everett Hale

For the love of animals------


(George returning the love he has received here - in this case, to my sister.)

2 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Laura, I am SO glad to see you and Kathleen taking such positive steps to help the unfortunate animals of Montgomery County. As you know, I, too, have taken in many dogs and cats over the years and have overextended myself financially on their behalf because I can't stand to see them lost, hungry and frightened. Although I can't come to the meetings because of my work schedule, you can count on me to help in any way that I can. Congratulations on this excellent start, and good luck!

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger Gary said…

    I am proud to know you and Virgil, and words cannot begin to describe my appreciation at all you have done and are doing for animals, and to make the world a more better place.

    I'll be back and pledge to help however I can.

    Gary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home